2001: The Gathering in Franconia
2001 Info Page
  Minutes of the June 9 Planners Meeting

Attending were: Judy Wallace, Nancy Wallace, Howie Lyhte, Marilinne Cooper, Holly Finlay, Mark Chain, Richard Mellor.

Re: Registration:

Melanie reports that something on the order of approximately 17 people (more or less) have registered to date.

After some discussion, it’s resolved to email everyone on the Heard List with the single question “Are you planning on coming? (Yes/No)”. Howie will work with Steven K. on writing and getting this out.

Re: Early Registration Gift:

Marilinne reports that she has located a company that will manufacturethe Early Registration Gift (aka ERG). There are 36 units in a case and a 3-week lead time. We eventually decide that Marilinne will order 1 case immediately (we’ll still have time to order more if we need them), with colored glitter, horizontal format. Also, that Marilinne will have the image we’ve chosen scanned and cropped, and send the company the camera-ready (computer-ready) digitized version.

Howie will put out a call for Early Registration on the Forum in the next few days.

Re: Menus/Food/Prices

Nancy confirms the menus as follows:
 
Saturday Buffet Sunday Brunch
Fresh Garden Salad Assorted Cold Juices
Potato Salad Fruit Cocktail
Macaroni Salad Assorted Cold Cereal
Rolls and Butter Muffins
Rice Pilaf Scrambled Eggs
Fresh Vegetable French Toast
Vegetarian Lasagna Pancakes
Chicken Marsala Home fries
Baked Scrod Bacon/Sausage
Roast Beef Cold Cuts
Coffee/Tea/Decaf Coffee/Tea/Decaf
Dessert Dessert
   
$19.65 (includes tax & gratuity) $12.00 (includes tax & gratuity)
Children’s Meals: 1/2 price Children’s Meal: 1/2 price

There was a lengthy discussion considering a special midnight snack consisting of a scrod scampo, a grit, and a taste of Que Shiraz Shiraz for each reveler. Cost is not yet determined. No final decision made, or likely.

Nancy also reports that Bill Walsh will offer a cash barbecue Friday afternoon (during the Cook-off).

Mark will post the menus/prices on the Forum in the next days.

RE: SUNDAY MORNING DISCUSSION

David Goldblatt will host again. General topic is expected to be something like “Franconia College & Community”. He’ll write up a description this week and get it to us. Howie suggests “Community Lost, Community Found” as theme.

RE: THE COOK-OFF

Melanie says, “The Cook-off is On”. It’s clarified that the cook-on is not a competition but more or less a pot-luck. <Resistance to insert stupid pot joke here successful.> Items expected (so far) are: jumbalaya, cheesecakes, pasta salads, and the possibility a roasted pig. <Resistance to insert stupid pig joke here successful.> Melanie will post a Cook-off/on reminder on the Forum this week.

RE: SOUND SYSTEM

Melanie reports some equipment rental prices from Abbott’s. We decide that what Abbott’s can offer is probably not sufficient for the Lodge room. After discussion of other possibilities, Melanie gets volunteered to contact Joe Cimino and Pam McCann (and Dan Salomon, if necessary) for additional info/leads on equipment.

RE: BACKGROUND MUSIC

Marilinne reports that Roger Cucci will be doing this. We agree that he could begin on Friday at 4 PM. It’s reported that he’ll have his own equipment and will only need to plug in to speakers we’ll be providing.

RE: ADDITIONAL EVENTS

It is reported that Raine Newman would like to do a slide presentation of his color photography. It is decided that he can do this in the downstairs room on Saturday, from 4 - 6 PM.

Mark says he’s considering posting a call for a poetry reading (doesn’t yet have a time in mind).

Nancy suggests Volleyball. Judy says she thinks she has a net, stakes, possibly a ball. We decide we’ll buy a ball if necessary.

RE: GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS, ARCHIVES PRESENTATIONS

The Legacy Committee will make its presentation Saturday eve, around 7 PM.

The Archives Committee will then make its presentation, around 7:30.

There is a discussion on the award of scholarships. It is reported that the Committee awarded the announced 4 grants among the 5 applications from Profile students.

Long discussion here on the Archives project/committee. Essentially, the Archives Plan will be presented at the next Planners Meet.

RE: REGISTRATION & WELCOME / SET-UP / DECORATION / SALES /INFO

REGISTRATION/WELCOME TABLE will be open Friday 4-6 PM and Saturday 4-6 PM.

For the REGISTRATION TABLE we’ll need: The master Registration List, Registration envelopes (with meal orders and meal tickets), the ERGs, and an empty box for any new Archive material. And a table. A few chairs, too.

SET-UP / DECORATION will begin Friday around Noon.

For Set-up/Decoration we’ll need/have: wall decorations from last year. Judy will check with Vee and Evan about wall things they took down last year. We hope people will bring stuff (copies if they’re valuable stuffs) to put up.

There will be a sale table for FCY2KR books and videos. Judy says we have about 50 books, and maybe 30 videos. We decide to sell them for 1/2 of last year’s price. Sometimes procrastination has its rewards.

informational/display tableS will be set up by the Legacy Foundation and Archives Committees.

RE: TIME CAPSULE

After discussion of possibilities for its location, we’re still unclear as to where; also unclear on when it is to be opened. Mark will email Oliver to see if there’s anything new on his end.

RE: OPENING / CLOSING CEREMONIES

Suggestion prevails not to have an opening ceremony.

Generally agreed that Closing should be at Brunch.

Suggestions that Ned? Mitch? Moose? host the closing.

Mention is made of the Ned-Winston debate from the Forum postings. A question of whether there should/could be admission to this event, proceeds to go to the Legacy Foundation and Archives Project is raised and then lowered again.

Further suggestions include a tug-of-war (across the Gale?), a 5-point-political-tug-of-war (across the soccer field pit?), a self-directed closing. Howie suggests we leave it at “Closing Optional”.

RE: DRESS-UP DINNER

We decide to leave it at “whatever it means to you”.

RE: COLLEGE SITE WALKING TOUR

We decide we want/need to contact the Forest Hills association to let them know we’d like to offer a self-guided walking tour again and repost the signs from last year.

RE: MERCHANDISING

We don’t need to know anything about this. Contact any of the planners if you have any questions. If anyone shows up with merchandise they want to sell, they can organize it on-site.

RE: MEAL TICKETS

Judy will make them again. Color-coded for Adults/Children/Saturday dinner/Sunday Brunch. Different colors than last year.

RE: REGISTRATION/WELCOME STAFFING:

Friday 4 - 6 PM : Judy, Howie, Melanie, Mark

Saturday 4 - 6 PM : Marilinne

We leave it at that since most of us will be there anyway.

SET-UP / DECORATION will begin Friday around Noon.

NEXT/FINAL PLANNERS MEET IS SET FOR SAT. JULY 7
 

 

2001: The Gathering in Franconia
2001 Info Page
questions? email howie@franconia.to
wind chimes by Jeb Bush, photo by Morgan Ackerly